VIENNA, AUSTRIA - JUNE 03: Mesut Ozil (R) of Germany battles for the ball with Julian Baumgartlinger of Austria during the UEFA EURO 2012 Group A qualifying match between Austria and Germany at Ernst-Happel Stadium on June 3, 2011 in Vienna, Austria. (Photo by Alexander Hassenstein/Bongarts/Getty Images)
Welcome to Bernabeu Bites where every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday we take you around the world of Real Madrid, La Liga and European Football all in tasty bite-size form. So grab your favorite beverage, sit back, relax and enjoy!
International play; some people love it, some don't. Either way, there was a lot of international football played yesterday with some Real Madrid stars dominating the beautiful game and the headlines. While I didn't get to watch them all I did watch the Spain versus Chile friendly (which was anything but). Gabe has a full recap over at SB Nation Soccer.
Also of note from that Spain/Chile friendly is that not only did Chile give up the game they were leading, but according to reports, they had their belongings stolen from their hotel rooms. Everything from credit cards to tens of thousands of dollars were reported missing.
"I feel the trust of the team and the coach and we have come a long way. We have qualified now and it doesn't matter who scores the goals. We know we have a very strong side, but there are others that can play at our level as well."
-Mesut Özil via UEFA.com
Not to be out done by his Real Madrid teammate, Cristiano Ronaldo scored two goals of his own as Portugal put up four goals and a clean sheet against Cyrpus. Of the two goals only one came from the run of play, the first goal a PK came in the 36th minute, the other came late in the match in the 82nd minute. One of the things that overshadowed Portugal's win was CR7's Real Madrid teammate Ricardo Carvalho walking out on the team.
And now rumors abound that he could face an international suspension which could also turn into a ban from Champions League play. Portugal's coach accused him of turning his back on his country and teammates. Bento also went on to say that Carvalho will never be selected for international duty again.
On the other side of the coin is defender Marcelo who has always wanted to play for his country. The Brazilian has just six caps to his name, and was even left out of the Copa America earlier in the summer. There were some reports that he has intentionally missed call ups, but on Thursday set the record straight on the subject.
"It could look like a lack of commitment, but I have always wanted to be in the Selecao and help my team-mates. I have served the team from the very start, even on long trips. They are the best, so why wouldn't I want to be involved?" the player told reporters at Thursday's press conference.
"It is not like me to ask to be withdrawn from the Selecao."
"I watched the match against Manchester United on television and it was difficult," Fabregas told El Mundo Deportivo.
"I suffered during this match and especially because of the enormous rivalry between the clubs. But I am convinced that the squad will improve for the next matches."
It seems that Jorge Valdano is speaking out, again. For those unaware, Valdano is the former director general for Real Madrid. He seems to think that before long, FC Barcelona and Real Madrid are going to have split off from la Liga and this will lead to a European League, which is something that has been discussed around here before.
"In the future Madrid and Barcelona will have to look to teams that are going at the same speed, and that will lead to a European league," he told Cadena Ser radio.
"Before I defended Real Madrid's interests but now I see things from a different perspective," the former Real and Argentina player added.
"The gap between the big two and the rest is getting ever larger. If you look to the future you have the feeling that it will only get worse.
"Two teams which have the rest of the world as their market and the others only their local community.
"There will come a time when that won't be convenient for the two big clubs either."
We haven't used this guy's name in a while, but it seems that Neymar is talking Real Madrid again..
"I feel very flattered by them, but at the moment I have made the decision to keep playing in Brazil," Neymar told AS.
"I have nothing decided [about a move to Europe]. What is clear is that, after the end of the transfer window, I will keep playing in Brazil.
At Santos I have the guarantee I am with my family. There, I am happy and I have my friends. I look at many things with my heart and I decided this it was not the moment to leave."