It will be hard for Marca's principal Óscar Campillo to keep his chair at the Spanish tabloid after both Florentino Pérez and Real Madrid's captains denied his information this Thursday morning. At least, that's how it should be. Unfortunately enough, Marca doesn't exactly stand for an ethic way of doing journalism.
Today, Marca crossed the line. Their cover reported that Sergio Ramos and Iker Casillas had told Florentino Pérez last week that Real Madrid's President will have to get either Mourinho or the two of them out of the club this next June. Marca didn't expect Florentino Pérez to deny this information, that's for sure, but that's what you get when you imply that the President's power is being taken over by two players.
Furthermore, the team's official website released and statement signed by Sergio Ramos and Iker Casillas confirming everything the President said before, so the information has been refuted by everyone involved in that meeting.
Florentino Pérez's press conference comes just in time. He probably should've spoken a couple of months ago with other kinds of reports, but this time has been good enough,
As an added, Real Madrid could be getting ready to start a lawsuit against the Spanish tabloid.
Nobody called us to confirm that information. I thought that journalists had to confirm with two or three different sources any given information, and I've spoken with Sergio Ramos, Iker Casillas and José Ángel Sánchez about that and nobody called them inquiring about anything said in our lunch. But, the most important thing is that I'm here to deny that information. I'm speaking in behalf of the players also.
Ramos and Casillas issued the following:
We never spoke about those things in our lunch with the President. We have the utmost respect for our coach Jose Mourinho. That information is totally false.