Several of Real Madrid's players featured for their national teams one more time before returning to club play while others had the day off. Here is how they, and their national teams, fared.
- There must be something new in the French national team's water because Karim Benzema has found the Midas touch when it comes to scoring. Big Benz entered the game in the 81st minute and scored in the 87th with his only shot, an excellent bit of skill, on goal as France took down Finland 3-0. However, France will be in the playoff lottery thanks to Spain's win. Raphael Varane did not play.
- Portugal is also in the same playoff scenario after they easily dispatched Luxembourg 3-0 with goals coming from Varela, Nani and Postiga. Fabio Coentrao played and picked up a yellow card while Cristiano Ronaldo and Pepe joined Madrid's squad.
- Germany found themselves in quite a pickle after falling behind 2-0 to Sweden, but thanks to the Ö and André Schürrle's hat trick they came back to win it 5-3 and thus winning their group. Sami Khedira had the day off after playing 82 minutes against the Republic of Ireland a few days ago.
- Wales didn't require Gareth Bale's services to draw 1-1 even with Belgium after Aaron Ramsey scored in the 88th minute to stake his claim as the best healthy Wales product in the world. Maybe Flo Bro went after the wrong Welshman...
- Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos and Isco all saw playing time as Spain won their group and easily took care of Georgia, 2-0 with goals from Negredo and Mata. Casillas stopped four shots on target, Ramos completed 97 percent of his passes and had arguably the best day of any player for Spain, while Isco completed 89 percent of his passes after coming into the game in the 82nd minute.
- Luka Modric and Croatia, possibly resigned to already being in the playoff, followed up their 2-1 loss to Belgium by losing 2-0 to Scotland with Modric not having one of his finest games. Not a good couple of days for the Croatian national team. At least the little Croat did not pick up any injuries as he will be key to Madrid's success this season.
The players will now return to their clubs in preparation for the Malaga match this Saturday. Luckily, no onepicked up any injuries and Benzema seems to have gotten over his allergy to scoring goals (fingers crossed). On to Malaga.