[Gabe's Update, 10:23 p.m. EDT: So apparently Ribeiro had another rant today (or maybe it's just from the same one), but the Santos' president included this little gem: "Neymar will stay with Santos until he's 80. We're going to give him a plaque and throw him a huge party. And it's all been worked out with the sponsors." You know what? Fine. Keep him.]
There is a part of me that didn't want to write about Neymar again (well at least for a few months anyways) but with the transfer window wide open still--well, it looks like I'm going to have to write about it. Not much is actually being said by Neymar himself, who I think needs to mature a bit more before moving to a bigger club. We tend to forget he's only 19, I barely remember that age - but I know I wasn't playing a professional sport.
This time around it's Santos President Luis Alvaro Ribeiro who is crowing to the press. Between Ribeiro and Neymar's agent they make me want to pull out what little hair I have left. Maybe even punch baby seals in the neck, either way it's starting to get annoying to say the least. Yes, it would be nice to have the talent level of Neymar on los blancos but at this rate it's better if the team puts it behind them and moves forward.
"We have no interest in selling him and we will communicate this formally," Ribeiro is quoted as saying by Lancenet.com.
"It is the same proposal, we had the deadline to respond until the end of the month, and I had already indicated that the answer would be 'no' and I will make it formal on Monday," added the president."It is complicated, I do not know if they would pay the release clause, but there is a long battle which protects us," he said.
"They offered two choices: take him now or later, but we do not want it."
"Santos are not a tiny little club, we will play the Club World Cup."
Now this stems from the fact that recently Neymar's "People" met with Real Madrid officials in Paris. It's also been widely known that he wouldn't come cheap as his buyout clause is reported to be £40 million. I really don't think that £40 million just to buy out the contract would hurt the RM pocket book - though I'm not sure how it would play into the new FIFA Fair Play rules.
We all know this kid is good, though he's prone to take a dive or two - and needs to grow up a bit. I'd like to think we just drop this nonsense for now and then re-evaluate come the winter transfer window. Maybe at that point, we'll need to address a club weakness that he could fill.