- Marca speculates about a possible move for Real Sociedad's Asier Illarramendi. The player impressed at the U21 and has supposedly caught the attention of both Zinedine Zidane and Carlo Ancelotti. In other transfer news the paper writes on the mystery of Xabi Alonso's non-renewal with Madrid. And in other, other news we're also getting Ilkay Gundogan. In short: the distinct impression one gets is that the paper is aware that Madrid requires a central midfielder, and that the club may also be aware, but frankly - take your pick!
- Gareth Bale is headlining the latest edition of Esquire Magazine and gives every indication he's sound Galactico material by not only informing readers that the best football is played in Spain but also making the cover. Get yourself a copy before Florentino Perez buys them all.
- Julio César has also talked about his tribute to Iker Casillas during the ceremony to collect his golden glove at the Confederations Cup. The players had exchanged jerseys and he wore it front to back to show-case Casillas's name. "We've both gone through tough times this year, but both of us played in this final."
- Real Madrid will play Bournemouth in Dorset, England for its first game under Carlo Ancelotti. The Cherries have recently gained promotion to the Championship and The Guardian provides a breathless preview promising that "Mesut Ozil, Kaká and Cristiano Ronaldo [are] all expected to play." That club is already reportedly price-gouging on the strength of that promise, so get your tickets early.
- Graham Hunter has written an entertaining piece, heavy on the psychological analysis, on the likelihood of Cristiano Ronaldo returning to Manchester United. A little gossip, some insight. It's an entertaining read on Paddy Power.
- And finally, for those concerned about the on-going hostage situation over at Athletic Bilbao, worry no longer! Fernando Llorente has escaped to Juventus. He's predictably thrilled to have arrived in Italy after his lengthy ordeal.
Bernabeu Bites 03.07.2013 - You Can Never Have Too Many Midfielders
In today's highlights Florentino Perez flips through the midfielder 2013 summer fashion catalogue. Someone please take it away from him.
By J A Marsano