Xabi Alonso broke his fifth metatarsial of his right foot during Wednesday's training session. The Spanish midfielder, who had recovered succesfully from his pubalgia, will have to miss around three months. Marcelo experienced the exact same injury past December and had to sit out that period of time.
Alonso's injury was confirmed in an official statement released by Real Madrid on the club's official website.
It is about time for Asier Illarramendi to step it up and fill Xabi Alonso's void. Illarra is the best Xabi Alonso replacement on the roster and he will certainly speed up his recovery a little bit now after Khedira's minor injury against Betis.
Casemiro, Modric and Isco are the only Real Madrid midfielders on the roster right now. Three men available for three positions. Khedira and Illarramendi should be back soon to give Ancelotti more options though.
More from Managing Madrid:
- FC Barcelona Could Try to Sign Iker Casillas
- Raúl Returns: Real Madrid Legend Previews Thursday's Friendly
- Reaction: Real Madrid vs Real Betis in Today's Bernabeu Bites
- Real Madrid Vs. Real Betis, La Liga 2013: Post-Match Reaction From the Press Seats
- Real Close! Real Madrid Down Betis 2-1 In A Thriller As Isco Shines.