It has been a great year that, for sure, all madridistas around the world will always remember. For the first time in the club's history, Real Madrid won four official trophies in a single year, which is a great accomplishment. But, most importantly, 2014 is the year in which we finally won La Décima, after having waited for twelve years.
Now that our players are leaving on holiday, it is time for us to take stock of what the year has brought us. There have been many peaks and slumps in the team's condition but, overall, I believe we will all agree that it has been terribly positive.
In this piece, I will try to select the most remarkable highlights of the year. You are more than welcome to choose your own in the comment section!
- Cristiano Ronaldo wins his second Ballon D'Or.
- Ancelotti builds the 4-3-3 with Di María in the midfield for the first time, against Espanyol.
- Eight wins in eight games, with no received goals, to approach Barça and Atlético in the league table and qualify to the Copa del Rey Semifinals.
- Jesé starts to show what he is capable of.
- Real Madrid make it into the Copa del Rey final after beating Atlético de Madrid by an aggregate 5-0.
- The first leg of the Champions League Round of 16 serves Los Blancos to break the German curse as they beat Schalke 04 by 1-6.
- Los Blancos beat Borussia Dortmund by an aggregate 3-2 in the Champions League quarterfinals.
- The first trophy of the season arrives as Real Madrid beat Barcelona in the Copa del Rey final.
- A fantastic performance in the Champions League semifinals against Bayern serves Real Madrid to secure their trip to Lisbon.
- La Décima!
- Everybody is on holiday or playing the World Cup, so there's no actual Real Madrid action.
- Kroos and James show the world what they are capable of and Florentino knows what needs to be done.
- Germany win the World Cup after thrashing Brazil in the semifinals (7-1) and beating Argentina in the final, with a goal by Mario Götze in the extra-time. Sami Khedira and Toni Kroos were there.
- James Rodríguez and Toni Kroos sign for Real Madrid.
- Keylor Navas arrives in Madrid.
- Real Madrid win the UEFA Supercup against Sevilla, in Cardiff, in the first game of Kroos and James with Los Blancos.
- The first trophy in the season is gone as Atlético beat Real Madrid, by an aggregate 2-1, in the Spanish Supercup.
- Chicharito Hernández is loaned to Real Madrid for a season.
- Real Madrid have a complicated start in La Liga as they lose two consecutive games against Real Sociedad and Atlético, in days 2 and 3.
- The current winning streak is born with the victories over Basel, Deportivo and Elche.
- Los Blancos get six victories in six games, including the conquering of Anfield and the first Clásico of the season.
- Alright, this is getting repetitive. Real Madrid get six victories in six games to secure their qualifying to the Champions League Round of 16 and reach the league first position.
- Jesé comes back and scores a goal against UE Cornellà.
- Real Madrid extend their advantage over FC Barcelona in the league table and secure the first position in La Liga, despite having a game postponed for February.
- We are World Champions!