After being knocked out of the Copa del Rey by city rivals Atlético, things could get worse for Real Madrid. Pepe was forced to leave the game during the second half with what appeared to be an injury on his ribs. The Portuguese was taken to the hospital right after the match ended.
Pepe will go through the routine tests there to see if he has a fracture, but the intense pain he was on suggests that he could indeed have a broken rib that would keep him out for a while. Even though Varane appears to be ready to fill his shoes, Ancelotti and his coaching staff will surely be hoping that the X-ray test turns negative.
More from Managing Madrid
- Copa Del Rey 2015, Real Madrid vs Atlético de Madrid: Match Report
- Real Madrid - Atlético de Madrid, Copa del Rey 2015: Player ratings
- CONFIRMED lineups: Real Madrid vs Atlético de Madrid, Copa del Rey 2015
- Marco Reus agrees terms with Real Madrid
- Copa del Rey 2015: Real Madrid vs Atlético de Madrid, Projected lineups