Things don't always go according to plan in such big games. However, Real Madrid must know what needs to be done in order to finally beat Atlético de Madrid this season in a game that could define this 2014-2015 campaign, for better or worse.
- Don't concede silly goals. Needless to say, away goals are extremely important in the Champions League. If Atlético de Madrid manage to score one today, it will not be easy for Real to beat Atleti's defense twice in 90 minutes. That's why the defensive line and Iker Casillas must be on their heels in order to avoid any potential mistakes that could ruin the entire gameplan.
- Match Atlético's intensity. Simeone's pupils have always had the edge over Los Blancos ever since the season started, and mainly this is due to Real's recurrent lack of intensity against Gabi, Tiago, Arda and Co. Considering the Santiago Bernabéu will provide a very good atmosphere for Real, the players need to match Atleti's intensity just like it happened during their meeting in last season's Copa del Rey tie.
- Cristiano Ronaldo's accuracy. The Portuguese player has to be the team's main attacking threat given Bale and Benzema's absence. Ronaldo will surely have some good chances to score, all he needs to do is keep a decent accuracy ratio and score most of them.
- Coentrao's effort. Fàbio Coentrao hasn't been involved much due to Marcelo's impressive season, but Real Madrid need him this night. The Portuguese left-back has proved he can be a good player offensively as well, but he's on his way out of the club and his commitment might not be that great. Carlo Ancelotti has probably worked to get him motivated for this game and he could be a crucial player.
- Do not rush. There is no problem in being 0-0 in the 60th minute. If Real Madrid fail to score during the first half, Ancelotti will need to keep things under control and tell players like Sergio Ramos or Cristiano Ronaldo that there's still a lot to be played. Real Madrid will need to keep their composure at all times.