The UEFA Champions League is Cristiano Ronaldo’s world and we are just lucky enough to live in it. Real Madrid’s superstar broke so UCL many records with his semifinal first leg hat trick against Atletico Madrid that we aren’t able to calculate the exact total with 100 percent confidence. Here’s all the records and interesting feats that Ronaldo broke or accomplished with Tuesday’s legendary performance.
- This was his 42nd career hat trick for Real Madrid
- His 7th career UCL hat trick, tying him for the all-time lead with Lionel Messi
- He’s only the fourth player ever to score a hat trick in a UCL semifinal
- The first player ever to score back-to-back hat tricks in the UCL knockout stage
- The first player to ever score a hat trick against Atletico Madrid in European competition
- After scoring just two goals in the group stage, he has eight in the knockout rounds
- The first player to ever score 21 goals in the Madrid Derby
- He has the most knockout stage goals ever with 52 total
- He has more UCL goals (88) for Real Madrid than UCL appearances (86)
- The first player with three hat tricks in the knockout stages of the UCL
- He now has at least 10 goals in the UCL in six straight seasons
- His five hat tricks after turning 30 years old are four more than any other player ever
What an unbelievable day for one of the best players to ever play this sport. Ronaldo continues to set the bar so high that it may never be reached, at least in our lifetimes. When the most important matches of the season come along, he steps up his game to carry Real Madrid’s attack. His hat trick against Atleti will forever be remembered as one of the most memorable performances in his iconic career.