Hosts Gabe Lezra, Om Arvind and Emilee Woods break down Real Madrid’s impressive 2-4 victory over Celta Vigo in Balaídos--a ground they’ve traditionally struggled with. There’s a fair amount to say about this match but, let’s be real, this was a game where Celta decided to emulate Simeone’s Atleti and literally injure as many people as possible.
Oh, and Barcelona lost. And Madrid won. Is this real life?
Some topics discussed:
- What is “black magic” in this new sense? And is this really a fair characterization of Solari’s tenure so far?
- How Big is Benz? And is this the new normal for him? (I think you can guess where we were on this).
- Alright, let’s talk about injuries. Nacho’s injury is huge. He’s a modern defensive back, playing multiple positions--the duct tape, if you will. Casemiro’s only out for a bit, so that’s good. And Regilión, who was huge in this match, will also be out--where does that leave us?
- Some high points from the match: Benzema. Benzema. Benzema.
- And Modric--is he back? And he’s a hugely important cog in this machine, so an in-form Modric could be a massive upgrade.
- Solari’s decision to play Odriozola and Reguilión instead of Nacho and others out of position.
- Madrid held Celta to around 1 xG in Balaídos--a great result. Is this Solari’s doing?
- How much of today’s result can be attributed to the grit the teams had on display?
- Madrid’s targets in the Superclásico--Palacios and more.
Managing Madrid is a hub for all Madridistas with updated news, op-eds, tactical analyses, artwork, and of course, podcasts. It also serves as a means for Real Madrid fans to connect and discuss the team. We would like your support so that we can continue to produce podcasts for you.
The site is run by a small team that works tirelessly around the clock to make it into what it is today. Your contributions will allow us to continue to have a real and full-time presence in keeping this website, and it’s podcasts, going.
Hosts this week:
Emilee Woods (@Emjwoods)
Gabe Lezra (@ElEzrah)
Om Arvind (@OmVArvind)