Now that Real Madrid have nothing to play for in La Liga and that there are still two weeks before the Champions League Final in Kyiv, the Spanish press are reporting that Los Blancos are already working on signing Neymar this summer. Both MARCA and AS concur and say that while it won’t be easy for Madrid to make it happen, Los Blancos will surely try their very best.
But should they?
- He’s definitely the best player “available.” While having to spend close to €250 million to sign the player really means that he isn’t really available, it’s clear that you don’t find a player of Neymar’s caliber very often. Neymar is a Top 5 player —if not a Top 3 one— who would immediately help Real Madrid’s offensive line. Furthermore, he would essentially help the club whenever Cristiano Ronaldo transitions into the main striker role or decides to leave.
- His style of play would attract more fans to the club. Neymar’s dynamism and mobility on the pitch ignites the fans and Real Madrid have not had that kind of attacking player since Cristiano Ronaldo’s golden days as a left winger. Neymar is a walking highlight-reel.
- It would help Real Madrid’s image as a brand. Los Blancos have been making a lot of money for a very long time but it’s true that it’s been a while since they’ve signed a galactico. Bale and James were extremely expensive but they were not Top 3 players when Perez decided to sign them.
- The fans want him. Most of them, anyway.
Writing a "Should Real Madrid sign Neymar?" piece with pros and cons. While I'm at it, what do you think?— Lucas Navarrete (@LucasNavarreteM) May 10, 2018
- €250 million?! Really?! Forget about the “it isn’t our money so why do we care?” thing. Those €250 million would be extremely helpful in other areas of the current roster. Carvajal needs a backup, Marcelo does need one as well given how poorly Theo has performed this season. Keylor, Ramos, Modric, Cristiano Ronaldo and Benzema are getting old and Real Madrid will need to find a new core soon enough. Again, the reported fee of €250 million seems to be too much for just one player when you have other needs.
- His salary would also ruin Real Madrid’s current wage structure. If Real Madrid sign Neymar he would become the second-highest paid player on the roster just behind Cristiano Ronaldo. One has to imagine that other stars like Sergio Ramos, Toni Kroos or Luka Modric would ask for a very significant raise fairly soon.
- Big ego and concerns off the pitch. Just a year ago Neymar left Barcelona to “create his own legacy” away from Lionel Messi. Would he be willing to delegate leading responsibilities to Cristiano Ronaldo and even Sergio Ramos now? There are some concerns about Neymar’s behavior off the pitch as well. Would he be the complete pro Real Madrid need from that kind of signing?
- PSG could get revenge. What if Al-Khelaifi decides to offer players like Kroos or Casemiro twice the salary they’re earning with Madrid? Barcelona went after Verratti last summer and that infuriated PSG, who ended up keeping Verratti and signing Neymar away from Barça instead. Careful.
Too many question marks for such an expensive deal. Neymar is a top player, definitely one who would help Real Madrid. He’s in his prime and has at least five or six good years ahead of him. Still, €250 million+salary seems too expensive when you still don’t know how well he would fit in the current roster, which is established and needs just a few signings to make it deeper than it’s been this season.
Should Real Madrid sign Neymar?
This poll is closed