clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Ajax vs Real Madrid: Champions League, Match Thread

Club Atletico de Madrid v Real Madrid CF - La Liga Photo by Gonzalo Arroyo Moreno/Getty Images

After the opening day of the Champions League Round of 16 games yesterday, today is the Real Madrid begin their campaign against Ajax in the Johan Cruyff Stadium.

Betting men are giving Real Madrid a 47% chance of winning this tie, with Ajax at a 27% chance (nearly the same chance for a draw, at 26%). Even though Ajax are featuring some tantalizingly talented youngsters who will want to continue making a name for themselves on the big stage, there is really no reason that Real Madrid shouldn’t be able to go into Amsterdam, take the win, and get home to prepare for this weekend’s league match against Girona. But, one game at at time.

One thing to keep an eye on is that Sergio Ramos, who is on two yellow cards, is one yellow card away from a suspension. There is really no good time for that in the Champions League, but perhaps if we get a good result in Amsterdam we see Ramos pick up a “purposeful” third yellow today. We shall see.

Enjoy the game, HALA MADRID!

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Managing Madrid Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of Real Madrid news from Managing Madrid