This mailbag edition of the Managing Madrid Podcast comes in two parts.
Part 1 (Kiyan Sobhani, Ryan O’Hanlan of NoGrassInTheClouds)
- Fernando Torres’s retirement
- Metrics to measure positional performance, and what space a player should be in on the pitch when his team has the ball
- How xP is calculated
- How Real Madrid underperformed their xP last season
- How much does Zinedine Zidane’s three-peat give him a pass?
- Is Paul Pogba’s attitude really a significant distraction?
- What does he bring to the table on the pitch?
- Jan Oblak’s freak stats that make him undeniably the best goalkeeper in the world
- The importance of a ball-playing GK
- Was this season peak-Messi?
- And more
Part 2 (Kiyan Sobhani, Matt Wiltse, Gabe Lezra)
- How far away are we from baseball analytics?
- How much would our La Liga form change over the past few years if we consistently had a second striker?
- More lingering Marcos Llorente questions
- Will other players follow Llorente’s path?
- Raul as Castilla manager
- Comparing the season to the 2015 / 2016 season
- And more
Managing Madrid is a hub for all Madridistas with updated news, op-eds, tactical analyses, artwork, and of course, podcasts. It also serves as a means for Real Madrid fans to connect and discuss the team. We would like your support so that we can continue to produce podcasts for you.
The site is run by a small team that works tirelessly around the clock to make it into what it is today. Your contributions will allow us to continue to have a real and full-time presence in keeping this website, and it’s podcasts, going.
Hosts this week:
Gabe Lezra (@ElEzrah)
Kiyan Sobhani (@KiyanSo)
Matt Wiltse (@MattWiltse4)
Ryan O’Hanlan (@rwohan)