On this Patron-only episode of the Managing Madrid Podcast, Kiyan Sobhani, Matt Wiltse, and Gabe Lezra discuss:
- The context of Real Madrid’s 2nd leg match against Bayern in the 2004 UCL round-of-16
- The starting line-up, which, on paper, was very unbalanced
- Missing that day: OG Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos
- The David Beckham - Guti double pivot
- Raul’s performance, his decline, and understanding of the game
- The disaster of the 2003 - 2004 season: The Monaco exit, and the nose-dive domestically towards the end.
- Player evaluation: Santiago Solari
- Zinedine Zidane’s calming presence
- The sheer tension of that match, the brawl at the end, and the overall rivalry against Bayern
- Real Madrid’s defense, and how it somehow survived that day
- How underrated David Beckham was
- How press-resistant the midfield was
- The mistake of benching Esteban Cambiasso and then selling him
- Going through Bayern’s team at the time
- And more.
Thanks for being a Patron, we hope you enjoy the show!
Managing Madrid is a hub for all Madridistas with updated news, op-eds, tactical analyses, artwork, and of course, podcasts. It also serves as a means for Real Madrid fans to connect and discuss the team. We would like your support so that we can continue to produce podcasts for you.
The site is run by a small team that works tirelessly around the clock to make it into what it is today. Your contributions will allow us to continue to have a real and full-time presence in keeping this website, and it’s podcasts, going.
Hosts this week:
Gabe Lezra (@ElEzrah)
Kiyan Sobhani (@KiyanSo)
Matt Wiltse (@MattWiltse4)