On this Patron-only episode of the Managing Madrid Podcast, Kiyan Sobhani, Matt Wiltse, and Kristofer McCormack discuss:
Part 1 (Ranking Real Madrid’s Germans)
- Christoph Metzelder’s forgettable Real Madrid career
- How good was Sami Khedira?
- The formation change that saw Khedira fall out of the starting XI
- How much was he at fault for the way things ended?
- Remember Bernd Schuster as a player
- His argument with Mendoza
- An awkwardly technically gifted player
- Bodo Ilgner’s career and legacy
- John Toshak’s relationship with goalkeepers
- How fun was Gunter Netzer — Real Madrid’s response to Johan Cruyff?
- The Guti of his time
- Paul Breitner: Marxist and Che disciple
- Mesut Ozil’s incredible peak
- His defensive work rate
- Our favourite Ozil memories
- Uli Stielike’s legacy
- Alfredo di Stefano’s favourite player
- Kroos’s rightful throne as the club’s best German player ever
Part 2 (50:15 — Real Madrid during the Civil War)
- Appreciating Real Madrid as an institution during the pandemic
- Were Real Madrid really Franco’s team?
- The fascinating history before Di Stefano and Puskas arrived.
- Zamora getting held at knife point
- The legendary Quincoces / Ciriaco center-back partnership.
- Pahiño: The Club’s first superstars
- And more.
Thanks for being a Patron. We hope you enjoy the show!
Managing Madrid is a hub for all Madridistas with updated news, op-eds, tactical analyses, artwork, and of course, podcasts. It also serves as a means for Real Madrid fans to connect and discuss the team. We would like your support so that we can continue to produce podcasts for you.
The site is run by a small team that works tirelessly around the clock to make it into what it is today. Your contributions will allow us to continue to have a real and full-time presence in keeping this website, and it’s podcasts, going.
Hosts this week:
Kiyan Sobhani (@KiyanSo)
Matt Wiltse (@MattWiltse4)
Kristofer McCormack (@K_mc06)