Real Madrid Femenino defeated Eibar 2-1 to secure their first league win of the season. It was Las Blancas’ second straight victory across all competitions.
The Eibar defense was well-structured and Las Blancas struggled to break them down for most of the first half. The Basque-side opened the scoring in the 18th minute after some poor defending. Las Blancas responded through Caroline Moller Hansen and the sides went into the break tied at 1-1
Las Blancas completed the comeback in the second half. Their second goal stemmed from a free kick in a good position. The ball made its way through the box to Rocio. She shot across goal and gave Real Madrid the lead.
- Real Madrid stuck with the three-back systems they utilized in the Champions League midweek.
- Eibar immediately put Las Blancas under pressure and also looked to exploit the space behind the wingbacks Kenti Robles and Olga Carmona.
- Caroline Moller Hansen, Nahikari Garcia and Lorena Navarro pressed well as a front three. The only times Real Madrid looked threatening early in the half was when this pressure turned Eibar over in their own half and Las Blancas went forward in transition.
- 18’ Eibar opened the scoring after a tragic bit of defending from Real Madrid. C. Morera tapped the ball forward toward the end line. The Las Blancas defense froze momentarily, thinking the ball would go out for a goal kick. Morera got to the ball and had all the time in the world to pick her pass. She crossed into the box and the Madrid defense didn’t attack the ball. M. Rodriguez did and she tapped the ball into the back of the net.
- Real Madrid struggled after the goal. The team lacked spirit and Eibar defended well.
- Moments of transition got Real Madrid back into the match.
- 31’ Lorena played the ball wide to Kenti Robles. The Mexican played a pinpoint cross to the head of Moller, who thumped it into the goal.
G⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️LLLLLL de @CarolineMoller7 que empata el partido.#HalaMadrid | #RealMadridEibar pic.twitter.com/J1NUee9V0o— Misa Malena Ortiz (@Misa_CF) October 10, 2021
- Las Blancas looked rejuvenated after finding the equalizer. They had more of the ball and pinned Eibar back.
- 33’ Olga tried to cross into the penalty area. The ball struck off a defender’s thigh and hit her hand. Real Madrid appealed for a penalty but it wasn’t given.
- 41’ Claudia Zornoza played a pass into the final third. Claudia Florentino attempted to dribble through the defense and the ball fell to Moller. She struck toward goal but the shot was saved easily.
- 46’ Las Blancas started the second half on the front foot. Moller danced down the flank and around one defender. She pulled a pass back toward Nahikari Garcia, who dummied it through to Lorena. Lorena’s shot deflected just wide of the post.
- 58’ Real Madrid made it 2-1 and completed the comeback. Claudia Zornoza swung a free kick into the box. Babett Peter cut in front of her defender and tried to get a touch on the ball. It bounced through to Rocio, who was unmarked at the back post. Rocio settled the ball and finished clinically to give Las Blancas the lead.
G⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️LLLLL de @Galvez_Rocio que completa la remontada. #HalaMadrid | #RealMadridEibar pic.twitter.com/7yxky6OREo— Misa Malena Ortiz (@Misa_CF) October 10, 2021
- Lucia and Athenea came on in the 64th minute for Nahikari and Olga. Athenea added an immediate spark in the attack.
- 76’ Lorena cut inside and curled a shot toward goal. The shot was saved with ease.
- 82’ Zornoza crossed into the area and it bounced out to Rocio. She tried to shoot but it was blocked. Rocio recovered possession and passed it to Ivana Andres. The captain launched her shot over the bar.
- Carla Camacho replaced Moller late in the match. She is now the youngest player to debut for Real Madrid Femenino at just 16 years and 164 days old.
- Las Blancas have won their previous two matches across all competitions and their first league match of the season.
Real Madrid take on Breidablik in the UWCL on Wednesday. Kickoff is scheduled for 3 p.m. EST (6 p.m. CEST) on DAZN’s Youtube channel.