Real Madrid Femenino continue to struggle in Primera Iberdrola in a 2-0 defeat to Athletic Club in Bilbao. The team hasn’t won through their first five matches and are yet to score a goal other than one own goal.
Las Blancas opened the game on the front foot. Athletic Club struggled to deal with Real Madrid’s press early which led to a variety of transition opportunities. Despite some of the positive signs early, Athletic Club created the more dangerous chances and would’ve taken the lead if it weren’t for some last ditch defending.
Real Madrid’s issues continued in the second half. Las Blancas were able to pass the ball around the back but when it was time to progress up the pitch the offense sputtered and gave the ball away. Athletic Club opened the scoring in the 64th minute. They won the ball back in the final third and Peke was fed through on goal. She slotted the ball into the bottom corner.
- 3’ Las Blancas recovered possession in a dangerous area. Lorena Navarro played Athenea down the left. The young winger drove toward the end line and played a cross intended for Nahikari Garcia. It was cut out and cleared by the defender.
- 7’ Yulema Corres sombrero’5d the ball over a Las Blancas defender and struck the ball as it came down. The ball flew across goal and just wide of Misa’s far post.
- Real Madrid had success picking the ball off in the middle of the field which created transition opportunities but struggled to carve out chances.
- 16’ Athenea shielded her defender before turning and driving at the Athletic Club back line. She cut the ball across the top of the penalty box to Lorena. Lorena took a touch to set up her shout before hitting it wide.
- Athletic Club immediately looked to hit on the break. Unzue’s touch in the 18-yard box allowed Marta Corredera to pounce on the ball and clear the danger.
- 19’ Azkona got on the end of a defense-splitting pass. Babett Peter recovered well and poked the ball away from the Athletic attacker
- 26’ Azkona received a cross at the back post completely unmarked. She brought the ball down and Claudia Zornoza shifted over quickly. The Madrid midfielder did just enough to deflect the ball into the hands of Misa in goal.
- 34’ Athenea passed to Caroline Moller Hansen at the top of the box. Moller turned well and shot. Her shot was caught by the Athletic keeper.
- 48’ Lucia Garcia slipped as she tried to hit a shot toward goal. Maite Oroz was able to get in front of the shot and block it away.
- Real Madrid’s struggle to dictate possession and sustain waves of pressure worsened in the second half. Athletic Club had more success creating danger in transition and Las Blancas were unable to create anything in the final third.
- Peke put Athletic Club up 1-0 in the 24th minute. She got on the end of a through ball and finished clinically past Misa.
️ ¡Enorme, Peke! ¡Y qué calidad, Nekane!— Athletic Club ♀️ (@AthleticClubFem) October 3, 2021
Taconazo de la '7' para dejar a @ainizebarea frente a Misa y la delantera zurigorri no perdona.
1-0 I #AthleticRealMadrid #AthleticClubFem pic.twitter.com/gyHdFImzRa
- 75’ Lucia Garcia was played through via a long ball over the top of the defense. The Real Madrid defenders were able to recover and prevented Garcia from testing Misa.
- 80’ The ball came across the 18-yard box to Athenea. She dribbled toward goal before putting her shot wide.
- 86’ Azkona doubled Athletic Club’s lead. Misa lofted a pass to Rocio that she couldn’t control and Athletic took full advantage.
Real Madrid Femenino are back in action on Wednesday. Las Blancas will kickoff their UWCL Group Stage campaign against WFC Zhytlobud-1 Kharkiv. The match will start at 12:45 EST.