The Open Thread/Daily Merengue is a place where you can discuss anything and everything related to football. Feel free to discuss the topics presented here, or start your very own discussions! The Open thread will be posted every day by one of the mods: Valyrian Steel, Felipejack, YoSnail, Ezek Ix or NeRObutBlanco.
The last month of the season will see Real Madrid play five league matches and the conclusion of the Champions League. May kicks off with Osasuna’s visit to the Alfredo Di Stéfano, this Saturday at 9pm. Real Madrid then travel to London to play the Champions League semi-final second leg against Chelsea (Wednesday, 5 May, 9pm). The aim in Europe is to reach the final in Istanbul, which will also be played later this month (Saturday, 29 May).
After the match in England, the league title race enters the final stretch. In a week’s time, the Whites take on Sevilla at home (Sunday, 9 May, 9pm) and away against Granada (Thursday, 13 May, 10pm) and Athletic (15 or 16 May). The last league game will be played at the Alfredo Di Stéfano on 22 or 23 May against Villarreal.
Player Updates and Transfer Rumors!!
- Valverde was once again tested for COVID yesterday, if the result is NEGATIVE he will train with the team today/Friday.
- Mendy and Ramos are in the final stage of their recoveries and might play some minutes this weekend.
- El Chiringuito TV reported that Brahim Diaz will rejoin Real Madrid to train during the preseason this summer.
- Diario ABC reported that Sergio Ramos might have having a change of heart. The player wants to stay at Real Madrid for two years until 2023. If Real Madrid agree with his decision to stay until 2023, they will reduce his salary by 10%.
- German news outlet Bild is reporting that Real Madrid are interested in Andre Silva. The club’s plan is to sell Luka Jovic to Frankfurt for 20m€ and buy Silva for 40m€. Make of that what you will.
7 Years ago on this day, hell was unleashed upon Bayern Munich.
Events occurred on 29th April, 2014 that will forever be etched into the memories of Madridistas and dare I say Bayern fans as well. A game for the ages as Real Madrid smashed Bayern Munich 4-0 at the Allianz Arena on their way to La Decima. This is still Bayern’s and Pep Guardiola’s worst loss in European competition. Relive all those moments here.
Karl-Heinze Rummenigge: "On Tuesday, we will burn down everything, we'll even burn down the trees of Munich."— Madrid Zone (@theMadridZone) April 28, 2021
Pep Guardiola: "We see ourselves in the #UCL final."
A few days later: pic.twitter.com/2RaoVJXi2l
| On this day 7 years ago.— Madrid Xtra. (@MadridXtra) April 28, 2021
Bayern 0-4 Real Madrid.
Cristiano Ronaldo ⚽️⚽️
Sergio Ramos ⚽️⚽️ pic.twitter.com/jAjwQm1k2e
Could there be less La Liga teams next season?
El Larguero reported that the Spanish Football Federation is working on changing the format or reducing the teams in La Liga from 20 to 18. This idea is seen as a way to accommodate the new UCL format which will have an increase in games. I wonder if there will be pushback from a lot of smaller clubs like there was to the European Super League. I’m also interested to see if other leagues would follow suit.