Real Madrid Femenino cruised past Santa Teresa CD, winning 5-1 away from home to stay in second place going into the final matchday of the season. Below are my immediate thoughts. Player ratings and post-match podcast to follow.
- David Aznar rotated a little bit for the away trip to Santa Teresa: Lorena Navarro replaced Sofia Jakobsson out on the left; an extra central midfielder was sacrificed so Jessica Martínez could play up top; and Samara Ortíz Cruz operated as a right back over Kenti Robles in a nominal 4-2-3-1 shape. However, it became quite clear that Madrid had multiple options through the center very early on, as Lorena roamed inside, pairing up with the #10 Kosovare Asllani to overload Santa Teresa’s single pivot (they defended in a 4-1-4-1). This provided multiple options between the lines, better angles for progression, and attracted the defensive attention to free up left back Olga Carmona.
Quite like how narrow Lorena has been. Gives us more angles for progression, puts further pressure on the center & compresses Santa Teresa, & allows Olga to push up & creates space for her. Lorena also in a good position to facilitate quick one-two's to get Olga going at pace. pic.twitter.com/CaQ1c7G4a9— Om (@OmVAsports) June 20, 2021
- In addition to the beneficial offensive structure thanks to Lorena, a number of Madrid’s individuals were on fire — notably, season-MVP Marta Cardona.
G⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️LLLLLL del @realmadridfem a los dos minutos de comenzar el encuentro.— Misa Malena Ortiz (@Misa_CF) June 20, 2021
Marcó, otro golazo más, @Mcardona10 que solo sabe anotar obras de arte y lleva ya 13 goles este año. #HalaMadrid | #RMCity pic.twitter.com/Ee7Rjd5GUU
- She was there to switch play and spark a second goal only a few minutes later, giving Las Blancas a decisive advantage and completely breaking the opposition’s spirit.
Y segundo gol del dia, que arrancó la jugada @Mcardona10 con un sensacional regate y la remató @lorcapucca una asistencia medida de @7olgacarmona— Misa Malena Ortiz (@Misa_CF) June 20, 2021
Gana el Real Madrid 0-2 en 6 minutos de juego. Vamos Madrid #HalaMadrid | #RMCity pic.twitter.com/J7gfbjfm3E
- Then, she scored again, heading a Teresa Abelleira pass to make it 3-0 (yes, she was onside).
G⚽️⚽️⚽️LLLL de @Mcardona10 que esta on fire y los mete de todos los colores.— Misa Malena Ortiz (@Misa_CF) June 20, 2021
Le faltaba el golito de cabeza y hoy ya lo ha conseguido, no tiene techo Cardona que ya suma 14 goles en su primera temporada. #HalaMadrid | #RMCity pic.twitter.com/PZm6vu1eI8
- Cardona nearly got her hat-trick in the 26th minute:
Uyyyy, a punto de marcar por partida doble el @realmadridfem— Misa Malena Ortiz (@Misa_CF) June 20, 2021
Primero la tuvo Cardona con una sensacional jugada, y luego la tuvo la capi Ivana que evitó el gol Raquel. #HalaMadrid | #RMCity pic.twitter.com/dKTJuv2PyJ
- Madrid picked up their fourth goal of the half when Samara won a penalty off of a beautiful individual action.
- Asllani gave up the penalty to the woman who won it and Samara made the most of her rare opportunity to get on the scoresheet.
- The pace of play dropped significantly in the second half, as one would expect after having won the game at halftime. Aznar made his changes in the 65th minute, bringing on Sofia Jakobsson, Aurélie Kaci, and Ariana Arias for Jessica, Cardona, and Asllani. Ari took advantage of the opportunity and scored after a beautiful pass from Maite started the entire thing.
Y llegó la ✋ gracias al gol de @ArianaArias03 que ayer se perdió el ascenso de su equipo, pero hoy ha conseguido meter su segundo gol con el primer equipo.— Misa Malena Ortiz (@Misa_CF) June 20, 2021
Felicidades Ari, y asistencia de lujo de @samaraortizz14 pic.twitter.com/RdZHp6jufG
- Sara Ezquerro got her debut with little over ten minutes left, replacing Misa for one of the feel-good moments of the season. Claudia Florentino also came on at the same time, swapping out for Samara.
TODOS EN PIE, sale a jugar @saritaezquerro y luce por primera vez la camiseta del @realmadridfem— Misa Malena Ortiz (@Misa_CF) June 20, 2021
Enhorabuena Sara, madridista desde siempre por fin has podido cumplir tu sueño!!#HalaMadrid | #RMCity pic.twitter.com/aE42omEMZX
- Sara got some action and made a sharp save but was unfortunate, seeing the rebound fall to Caroline Van Slambrouck, who converted from close range in the 82nd minute.
- That was the last bit of relevant action, ensuring a 5-1 victory for Las Blancas. It was a stunning performance over the course of 45 minutes, driven by the magic of Cardona, Maite Oroz, Ivana Andrés, Olga, and Samara and the positional intelligence and smart link-up of Lorena. Watching this team has been one of the rare joys I’ve had in this brutal season of sports.