The Open Thread/Daily Merengue is a place where you can discuss anything and everything related to football. Feel free to discuss the topics presented here, or start your very own discussions! The Open thread will be posted every day by one of the mods: Valyrian Steel, Felipejack, YoSnail, Ezek Ix or NeRObutBlanco.
Wow!! Just Wow!
Feels like a long time since we saw something like that. Los Blancos needed to respond after Atletico’s late win against Getafe and they most certainly did to reclaim top spot. They hit Mallorca for 6 and it could have been worse. The royal whites now have 21 goals in 6 games, more than any other team in Europe’s top 5 leagues. At this pace they could overtake that record breaking 2011-2012 side. Okay I’ll stop now.
Real Madrid has scored 6 goals in a La Liga game for the first time since May 12th, 2018 (6-0 vs Celta Vigo). ⚽️6️⃣ pic.twitter.com/NuDh9fQMom— Infinite Madrid (@InfiniteMadrid) September 22, 2021
Valyrian Steel observations.
- Someone check Camavinga’s birth certificate. There’s no way this kid is only 18.
- Karim Benzema has 15G+A in 6 games. 15!!! Think about that for a second. Only 6 of Real Madrid’s 21 goals, he hasn’t scored or assisted. He also notched up 200 la liga goals last night.
- I am sorry Marco Asensio. Keep performing like this and I will gladly be silenced.
- In with the new and out with the old. I love me some KCM but this Camavinga Valverde combination is a treat to watch.
- Miguel Gutierrez is really making a case for himself.
- The flood gates will open for Jovic. Both him and the fans need to be patient. Nice to see the Bernabeu chant his name to cheer him on.
- Y’all still complaining about Alaba and his salary? We got him for Free. Free!! Thank you Bayern.
- Dear Injury God, please spare us this season. We’ve provided more than enough business to your wife Sanitas and even signed a new contract to boot.
Brahim Diaz scores again and other results around Europe.
Brahim opened the scoring for Milan, in a 2-0 win against Venezia to send the Rossoneri top of the table tied with Inter. Real Madrid have a nice little problem on their hands if they choose to bring the attacker. He seems like the ideal replacement for Isco to me. Former Madridista Theo was man of the match with a goal and an assist.
Juventus finally got their first win and have climbed to 13th place with 5 points out of 5 games.
No surprises as to who tops the Bundesliga scoring charts. Both Lewandowski and Haaland with 7 goals in 5 games.
PSG needed another late win to overcome Metz 2-1. Another former Madridista, Achraf Hakimi scored a brace that included the 95th minute winner. The Parisians now have 7 wins out of 7 but have been a little underwhelming when you think about the squad they have. Messi wasn’t fit for this one.
Sevilla comfortably beat Valencia 3-1 at the Sanchez-Pizjuan to climb into 3rd spot in La Liga.
The Premier League is already looking very interesting with Chelsea, Liverpool and Man United all on 13 points at the top.
ICYMI: The impressive stat that places Vinicius JR above the likes of Raul and Butragueno.
Matt Wiltse further delves into Vinicius’ start to the season and compares it with Madrid greats of the past. Do give it a read.