Real Madrid Femenino lost to Real Sociedad 1-0 in Madrid on Wednesday. Las Blancas gifted La Real a penalty kick and Nerea Eizagirre scored the game-winner from the spot.
Real Madrid started the match well. They unsettled Real Sociedad with their press and created transition opportunities. Las Blancas dominated most of the proceedings in the first half but struggled to create clear opportunities. They were punished for not capitalizing. Real Sociedad was awarded a penalty in the 37th minute and Nerea Eizagirre converted.
Las Blancas pushed for an equalizer in the second half but were unable to convert. Real Madrid has now lost three of their opening four matches in the league season. They currently sit in 14th place and need to start winning matches if there is any hope of repeating last seasons’ success.
- Las Blancas started well and caused Real Sociedad issues in possession. Real Madrid had a lot of the ball but struggled to create opportunities.
- 14’ Rocio rose and met a Claudia Zornoza in-swinging corner but headed it over the bar. La Real tried to play out of the back and Olga Carmona recovered possession for Las Blancas and shot. The ball flew over the crossbar.
- 26’ Zornoza made a nice move to avoid her defender before crossing the ball into the penalty area. The cross was just a bit too high for Esther, who couldn’t get on top of the ball to steer it on goal.
- 31’ Zornoza launched a shot from distance that was tipped over the bar. She swung the ensuing corner kick into the box. It bounced out to Lorena Navarro, who shot toward goal but a well-placed Real Sociedad defender cleared it away.
- 36’ Real Sociedad started to find more success going forward by targeting Las Blancas’ left flank. Emma flicked a ball into the box to Amaiur. She blasted her shot over the bar.
- 37’ Emma got down Las Blancas’ left flank again. She hit a low cross into the box that hit Kenti Robles’s hand. Nerea stepped up and converted the penalty kick.
- 49’ Real Madrid started the match on the front foot. Zornoza put a well-struck shot on target and moments later Lorena played Olga into the area. Olga shot at the keeper and it was saved.
- 58’ Olga gave the ball away in midfield which led to a La Real jailbreak. Amaiur was isolated one versus one and forced Misa into a save. Nerea arrived in the box and smashed her shot off the crossbar.
- 66’ Substitute Nahikari Garcia did a great job to get on the end of a Kenti Robles cross. Nahikari threw herself at the ball but the header was right at the keeper and it was saved.
- Real Madrid pressed for an equalizer. As time ticked away the team played more direct, lofting passes toward Esther and Nahikari and bypassing the midfield.
- Las Blancas couldn’t find an equalizer. They have started the league season with three losses and one draw.
Real Madrid are back in action on Sunday against Athletic Club. Las Blancas will travel to Bilbao knowing that they need three points.